When your baby is 6 months old, you can start to learn to use the school cup. The purpose of using the drinking cup is mainly to train the ability of oral movement, and it is also the practice period for the child to switch from the bottle to the cup. At the beginning, it is best for the mother to help the baby to hold the study cup. When the child is about 1 year old, and the wrist, elbow and shoulder have good coordination, you can start to grab the grip on both sides of the cup. I have eaten myself.
According to the baby’s growth stage, parents can choose different skill cups, such as pacifier type, duckbill type, and straw type. In addition, children can try to drink with small cups.
1. Pacifier type: There is a nozzle-like lid on the cup. There is a handle next to the cup, which allows the baby to hold the handle smoothly and train the baby to drink other than milk.
2, duckbill type: suitable for children over 6 months of use, from the bottle gradually transition to the use of general cup straw training. In addition to the wide mouthpiece, which can help the stability of the upper and lower jaws of the ribs, when drinking water, you can easily drink the liquid in the cup by tilting the cup slightly; and the mesh design in the mouth is not liquid. It is easy to flow out from the mouth and the baby is easier to accept.
3, straw type: the mouth is narrow, the child’s lips need more self-control ability, in order to avoid liquid outflow, because it requires more effort to suck and hold the cup, it is recommended to use the baby after one year old.
In addition, the suction cup of the drinking cup is also divided into two different materials, one is soft silicone material, just like the pacifier, it is recommended to use this material if the baby just switched from the bottle to the cup. The other is a hard plastic material. If the baby’s oral strength is poor, you can choose the suction port of this material, because it can give the child the downward pressure of the tongue, and prevent the child’s tongue from spit out because of poor strength. Causes difficulty swallowing, so it is more suitable for babies over one year old.
It is normal for a baby to make a mess when he first starts using a school cup. Parents don’t have to worry too much. How to make the training process smoother?
1. As long as the coordination of the baby’s grasp is more mature (about 6 months or more), you can learn as early as possible, the sooner the better the effect.
2. Sit and drink with the help of your parents. Don’t lie down and drink.
3. Try to let your baby learn to drink water or juice in a way other than a bottle (such as a small cup or a duckbill cup) at the beginning.
4, choose a lighter duckbill cup, the baby is easier to grasp.
5, choose a pattern or decoration with bright colors, you can also let the baby play with the cup, can attract or maintain the baby’s attention to the school cup, increase his interest in using the school cup.
6, when choosing to drink a cup, you can tend to flow less, and learn the size of the mouth or edge of the cup, the more you fit the baby’s lips, the better, will not let the baby drink and leak, exclude learning .
7, you can start with a small amount of water, or juice like a simmer, to attract the baby to pick up the drink.
8. When I first started learning, my mother can slowly demonstrate how to use the duckbill cup, how to hold the duckbill cup, teach the baby mouth to contain the duckbill, then lift the bottom of the duckbill cup to teach the baby how to suck Drink in the sippy cup; then hold the baby’s hand to hold the sippy cup and practice slowly. After the baby gets used to it, let him try it out.
9, teach the baby to use the mouth to suck the drink in the duckbill cup, sometimes “suck” this action takes some time to learn; if you have difficulty, you can try to pour a small amount of drink (such as water, juice, mother milk or formula) Milk powder), let the baby learn to drink with a small cup, wait for the baby to swallow and coordinate before returning to learn to use the duckbill cup.
10. Don’t let your baby walk around with a drink cup, a drink, and walk around.
11, do not fill the baby drinking cups, because the baby’s nutritional needs still come from breast milk or baby milk powder, do not interfere with the use of drinking cups.